Tuesday, March 16, 2010

BUT GOD KNEW

It was February 12, 1983. I was talking with a florist. My mother was with me. I was ordering a casket spray of flowers for my 17 year old son who had been killed by a drunk driver just two days before. "I want the spray to be all roses," I said, not knowing why, but I just felt the spray had to be roses until the florist told me how much roses would cost, especially on Valentine's weekend. So I began to think carnations. As my tears began to flow, I realized it had to be roses. WHY roses? I had no idea, but God knew! God already knew I would see a poster that said, "God gives us memories so we might have roses in December." He already knew I would write a book entitled Roses In December. God knew my logo would become a red rose.

The florist saw my tears and said, "How much had you planned to pay for the spray?" I told her, knowing the amount wasn't nearly enough, but her response was, "You will have roses." When the spray arrived at the mortuary, there was also a rose boutonniere to pin on Nate's blazer. God knew!

God has known my comings and goings all along. Elisabeth Elliott once said, "God is already in the future." God is already in the future! And He's waiting for me there!

I had to go to the ER recently because of an erratic heart beat and an accelerated pulse. The whole experience was new for me, but God was already there! He knew, and He was waiting for me! He had tested the waters and prepared the way for me.

Our Nate died 27 years ago. We have dealt with pain, loneliness, discouragement, confusion, and frustration, but we have also received many "aha" moments as we saw God's goodness poured out on us. It has not been an easy path, but I can say confidently, "Jesus led us all the way."

I'm sure there have been times when each of you have wondered, "How did I get here?" But it is such a comfort to know that God is never surprised. He wasn't surprised when Nate showed up in Heaven, and He wasn't surprised when I showed up at the Emergency Room.

Years ago I heard my friend, Rich Buhler, a well-known talk show host in LA say, "God never has to say 'Oops.'" Praise the Lord, He is already in the future and there are no surprises with Him.

Psa 139:2-3 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.

MWH

DIGGING DEEPER
Psalm 46:1 - 3
1God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
2Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
3though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble at its swelling.

No comments: