Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What's your number?

My number is 20,268.
My Momma's number is 33,215.
My Poppa's number is 29,565.
My brother Adolf's number is 12,045.

There is a difference between my number and those of my family members. There is no possibility of adding even one more digit to their numbers. How many more digits, if any, will be added to my number is only known by God.

Psalm 90:10,12
The length of our days is seventy years - or eighty, if we have the strength; yet their span is but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away...Teach us to number our days aright that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

Today I am 55 years old and have lived 20,268 days. If I live to 70, that will add another 5,475 plus or minus days. Wow! It was very eye opening to "number" my days! How have I spent those days? Well, it is sad to say that the majority of those days were not lived for God's glory. I did not know Jesus as Lord and Savior of my life until 1998. So prior to that time I was totally living for me. The Lord tells us in this Psalm to "number our days aright." What does this really mean?

Each day we open our eyes and take a breath it is a gift from God. It is a day not promised but given to us to glorify Him, to live for Him, to make the day count for Him, to grow in the likeness of Him, to grow in wisdom and knowledge of Him. Yes, it should be all about Him.

Not all our days will be filled with good times, with prosperous times, with good health but we can still make each day a day to glorify God in whatever is going on in our lives. The truth be known, for very few of us have the good times out weighed the bad times. Our days on earth are short, our days are numbered, why waste them frivolously? There will come a day when my number will be complete and added to those in my family whose number on earth has ended. Have I numbered my day aright today? Have I glorified God? Have I made the day about me or about Him? If I ask myself these questions everyday, and live each day as if it were the last day, I believe I would live the day for the glory of God.

Psalm 90:14-17
Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days. Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us, for as many years as we have seen trouble. May your deeds be shown to your servants, your splendor to their children. May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us - yes, establish the work of our hands.

What's your number?

MaryAnn

DIGGING DEEPER
Psalm 46:10
10(U) "Be still, and know that I am God.
(V) I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!"

MaryAnn and John Kiernan have been married for 36 years, have 2 grown/married sons and are the proud grandparents of 3 grandsons. She serves at America's Keswick as a Biblical Counselor and also as Intake Coordinator for the Colony of Mercy. Her life verse is Romans 8:28.

No comments: