Monday, March 29, 2010

DIGGING DEEPER PSALM 51:1-4

Psalm 51 - a very familiar psalm. It is often preached on and quoted. Perhaps it is already near and dear to your heart. We will be focusing on it over the next 4 weeks.

I hope you are continuing to persevere. Don't give up when it gets difficult.

Persevere.

You will be changed.

Psalm 51:1-4
Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin!
3 For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you may be justified in your words
and blameless in your judgment.

Commentary:
This Psalm is written by David after he was confronted by Nathan regarding his adultery with Bathsheba. David pours out his heart repenting of his offense to God. Rather than share a typical commentary quote, let me share a quote from Paul David Tripp's book, "Whiter Than Snow: Meditations on Sin and Mercy" which I commend to you. It is an excellent meditation on Psalm 51. (This book is available through America's KESWICK's online bookstore - http://www.americaskeswick.org/233853.ihtml)

"Before you can ever make a clean and unamended confession of your sin, you have to first begin by confessing your righteousness. It's not just your sin that separates you from God; your righteousness does as well. Because, when you are convinced you are righteous, you don't seek the forgiving, rescuing, and restoring mercy that can be found only in Jesus Christ." (pg. 22)

No comments: