Friday, March 26, 2010

Deeper Into Psalm 46:8-11

Come, behold the works of the LORD,
how he has brought desolations on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
He burns the chariots with fire.
"Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"
The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah


This week our focus passage has been Psalm 46:8-11 and the chapter ends with the word, Selah.

According to biblegateway.com it is a word used seventy-four times in all of scripture and some interpret it to mean "silence" or "pause."

I discovered this meaning a few years ago, so whenever I come across it in the Psalm I do just what it means, I pause and silently ponder what preceded it.

When I think of it as the ending word for this week's scripture, (which I hope you have pondered on all week), it fits right in with our "Points to Ponder and Apply" section.

So here it is:
"Come and behold the works of the LORD!" Ponder the works of the Lord in your life today.

"There is nothing that so sustains the soul, so elevates the spirit, so encourages the weary, so expands the mind, so lifts the depressed, so fills the hungry, so satisfies the thirsty, and so enables us to realize the fullness of what it means to be human, as a clear, steady, sustained gazing upon the beauty and glory of God." ~ Timothy Shorey

Be still and silent, and in that stillness KNOW THAT HE, GOD, is GOD!

What I can tell you with certainty is this: if you apply this practice to your day, to this moment in time called today, you will taste and see that the Lord, He is good. You will know in your inmost parts a peace that passes all understanding. Selah.

Stephanie

No comments: