Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Encourage one another...

I received a card from a friend. It reads "One of the things I really love about our friendship is how easy it is. There is no reason to be anything but ourselves. We're just two friends who understand each other by heart." (courtesy of Hallmark) This statement is so simple, yet so profound. Do we take time to remember those around us with simple reminders such as a smile, laughter, children playing, hand on shoulder, hugs, hearing "I love you," a kind word, listening ears, music, a glad heart and many more ways to show encouragement.

It reminds me that all of us need to be encouraged and give encouragement. According to Encarta Dictionary, encourage means "to give somebody hope, confidence or courage," "give confidence, support."

How well I know personally that should I fail to meet with my sisters in Christ for a season of fellowship, I open myself up to discouragement. To break the chain of discouragement is through encouragement by lifting each other up through words of kindness and deeds. We read this in Hebrews 10:25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another...

In Philemon 1:7 (NIV) Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints, Encouragement comes when we allow others be part of our lives, sharing together with one heart.

My favorite way to encourage others is found in Titus 1:9 (NIV) He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it. The more I mediate upon the Word and feast on the goodness of the Lord and stay in tune with the things of the Lord, He gives encouragement to the soul and I am able to share the goodness of the Lord with others, whether in word or deed.

How about you, have you found ways to encourage another today?

PF
Women of Character Graduate

No comments: