Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Take Every Thought Captive Before God

Have you ever had a season of time that your thoughts just swirl in your brain and you feel out of control? That is just how I have been feeling, restless and weary. Instead of keeping my thought life before God, I have been allowing my thoughts to run down rabbit trails, which have been keeping me from concentrating on things I needed to be concentrating on. My question is, "Lord, how do I bring my thoughts captive?"

Just this week God showed me much more of the meaning of taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. God brought to mind 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds, casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. I was doing just the opposite of this verse, no wonder my thought life was not where it should be.

This verse actually deals with repentance, because what we "think" comes out of our mouth. The Bible says that what we think in our heart, so are we. Proverbs 23:7. Yikes, that hurts, but true.

God want us to have the mind of Christ in our lives. He desires that we know His thoughts that come from the Word of God. We are to take every thought captive.

Our weapon is the Word of God, and prayer is where we use it. But we also use it in speaking out the truth to ourselves and to others. You actually have even more power when you pray the Word, believing what it is saying. You can't be saying it and not believing it. You will either believe it or you won't. And if you believe it, you will continue to say it and it will prove effective.

We need to pay attention to our thoughts and cast down any that are not God's thoughts. I believe that once we commune with God, fellowship with Him and learn of Him, we begin to think like Him. The more we do this the less we have to "fight" with our thoughts. Our heart changes and when our heart changes and is filled with love, compassion, peace and joy, that is what we begin to think about. I am ready to take every thought captive before God and have my heart renewed. Are you?

PF
Women of Character Grad

DIGGING DEEPER
Psalm 46:4 & 5
4There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy habitation of the Most High.
5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.

No comments: