Tuesday, March 09, 2010

YOU CAN TAKE THIS PROMISE TO THE BANK

I have been a Christian for 68 years. That's a long time, isn't it?

My grandmother's home did not have electricity until I was a young teen, and just a few years later indoor plumbing was added.

I easily pass all of those e-mail tests sent around about "Can you remember?" Of course I can remember, everything from Cokes that cost a nickel to dial phones to phone booths where one could make a local call for 5 cents. When my grandmother used to relate what she could remember, I thought she must have been born in the dark ages! Now it's my grandchildren's turn to think that about me.

I remember when soldiers did not automatically get R & R in the middle of a war. My aunt, a brand new bride, did not see her soldier husband for 36 months. As a child, I watched her tears fall as she haltingly said, "I can't remember what he looks like any more." E-mail, cell phones and Skype were unheard of then.

I also remember seeing my mom on her knees, praying. I watched my dad ask my uncle for forgiveness because he had wronged my uncle. I saw my mom and dad's hair turn gray, but their faith remained steady. My parents walked through major tragedies, but their faith remained steady.

I watched my parents' friends pray for others as their hands trembled, but their faith remained steady.

Now it's my turn. My hair is quickly turning gray, but God has remained faithful.

I came across this verse recently and underlined it because it is true, ah, yes, it is true.

Even when you are old, I will be the same. Even when your hair has turned gray, I will take care of you (Isaiah 46:4, NCV).

MWH

DIGGING DEEPER
Psalm 40:1 & 2
1I waited patiently for the LORD;
he inclined to me and heard my cry.
2He drew me up from the pit of destruction,
out of the miry bog,
and set my feet upon a rock,
making my steps secure.

No comments: