Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Nothing Profound

When Diane first asked me if I'd be interested in writing for Victory Call, I hesitantly said "yes," with the disclaimer that I didn't think I had anything new or profound to say. I get 2 or 3 emailed devotionals daily, plus the books I read. And I struggled to think that I would have anything new to say - or that I would end up plagiarizing someone else.

And it's not that God isn't doing anything in my life - but it's slow, and painstaking, and not particularly earth-shaking.

Lately, as I've been struggling to come up with something to write, the thought kept popping in my head, "God loves me - what's more profound and earth-shaking than that?" I mean, really - can you think of anything bigger, better, or more important to be reminded of? I went on a hunt for verses that tell us about God's love - there are way too many to list them all. Here's just a sampling (bold text my emphasis):

The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, Exodus 34:6 (NIV)

Yet the LORD set his affection on your forefathers and loved them, and he chose you, their descendants, above all the nations, as it is today. Deuteronomy 10:15 (NIV)

But you are a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love. Nehemiah 9:17 (NIV)

Remember, O LORD, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old. Psalm 25:6 (NIV)

You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to all who call to you. Psalm 86:5 (NIV)

Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, Isaiah 43:4 (NIV)

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. Lamentations 3:22 (NIV)

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 (NIV)

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 (NIV)

In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will - Ephesians 1:4-5 (NIV)

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! 1 John 3:1 (NIV)

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

RS

DIGGING DEEPER

1 Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin!

UPCOMING EVENT
May is fast approaching and we will be hosting our 2nd annual Family Freedom Walk on Saturday, May 8th. You can help in two ways. 1. walk – call guest services to obtain a walk package, solicit sponsors and come to the walk. 2. (this is a fun one) Sponsor Victory Call for the walk. We are having a friendly competition between the 2 groups of devotional readers (Freedom Fighters and Victory Call). Our goal is to raise more funds for the Victory Call team than the men raise for the Freedom Fighter’s team. If you would like to join the fun, simply go to this link on our website https://01.secure.elexio.com/donations.aspx?id=366346&websiteurl=http://www.americaskeswick.org&siteid=2184 fill out the information and indicate in the “DESIGNATION” area : Family Freedom Walk: Victory Call or if you prefer make your check out to America’s KESWICK and put in the memo line: FFW/Victory Call and mail to : America’s KESWICK 601 Route 530 Whiting, NJ 08759. ALL DONATIONS MUST ARRIVE NO LATER THAN WEDNESDAY, MAY 5TH in order to be counted for our TEAM. Come on ladies, we can do it!!!

No comments: