Friday, July 09, 2010

DIGGING DEEPER


Psalm 101:1-5 Points to ponder

1 I will sing of steadfast love and justice;
to you, O LORD, I will make music.
2 I will ponder the way that is blameless.
Oh when will you come to me?
I will walk with integrity of heart
within my house;
3 I will not set before my eyes
anything that is worthless.
I hate the work of those who fall away;
it shall not cling to me.
4 A perverse heart shall be far from me;
I will know nothing of evil.
5 Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly
I will destroy.
Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart
I will not endure.

As I thought about these verses this week, verse 2 struck me: "I will walk with integrity of heart within my house." It is "easy" to walk with integrity out in the world where everyone sees you, but what about in the silence, solitude, secret places of your home where the watchful eyes of neighbors and friends are absent? I remember one time really getting angry at my daughter for some incidental thing. I was so angry I could FEEL it. I was driving with a friend of mine to a mall with our children. I made a comment about how I struggled with having a kind and gentle spirit in my home. She said, "I've never seen you ever speak inappropriately to your kids." I replied, through my grit teeth ---"of course not, I'm not stupid enough to do it in front of you!"

That was a lot of years ago and I've grown since then and my children have grown since then, into adults. My point is this. Who are you when no one is looking? Do you walk with integrity of heart within your house?

Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries and Acting Director of Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 25 years. She has 2 children, 2+ grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.
Have you made your summer reservations? PLEASE pick up the phone and call today. 732-350-1187 or 1-800-453-7942.

No comments: