Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Shelter of the Most High

Not too long ago we were encouraged to memorize Psalm 91. When I attempt to memorize scripture I read it and listen to the scripture on a CD in my car. Over the course of the week the words begin to come to my remembrance. As I seek the Lord for what He has for me in the scripture I enjoy reading various translations.

Today I would ask you to consider with me the first three verses of Ps. 91 in various translations:

1) 1 He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust." 3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler And from the perilous pestilence. (New King James)

2) 1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!" 3 For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper And from the deadly pestilence. (New Amercian Standard)

3) 1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 2 This I declare of the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I am trusting him. 3 For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from the fatal plague. (New Living Translation)

4) 1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."
3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence. (New International Version)

The word "snare" or "trap" comes from the Hebrew word "pach." It is a metallic sheet pounded thin; it is also called a spring net. "Pach" comes from the Hebrew word "pakh" meaning to spread a net, to be snared. The "fowler" comes from the Hebrew word "yaquwsh" meaning a snarer. The word "pestilence" comes from the Hebrew word "deber" meaning a pestilence in the sense of destroying, or plague.

The scripture is therefore clearly telling us that we have an enemy who is trying to trap us in a net for the purpose of destroying us. It also encourages us that there is One who can save us.

Each one of us likely has something in our lives that the fowler can use to ensnare or trap us. That thing will eventually destroy us if we do not get off the cycle of destruction. On that cycle we find ourselves in a place of sin, conviction of sin, and then we repent only to repeat the cycle and sin all over again. It is so discouraging. We may even begin to feel God is ready to give up on us. But wait..... You may want to consider that sin as a "trap" that easily can ensnare you and then consider the encouragement in Psalm 91. If you choose this day to make the Lord your refuge, and ask Him to show you the way to be set free from that thing, if you will allow Him to be your fortress (defense) and you trust in Him, He is the one who can deliver you from that snare of the trapper and the deadly pestilence. Praise God, He is on your side. For He is the Most High God, He is Almighty, He is your Lord, He is God and there is none like Him.

Consider the following prayer:
Father, I am tired of the cycle of destruction. I am tired of coming to you convicted of my sin, seeking your forgiveness and then finding myself doing the same old thing again. I cannot set myself free. Father, I lay myself at your feet. I desire to follow your Word and dwell in your shelter and abide in you. Show me the way. I invite you to be my refuge and my fortress. I declare my trust in you. With thanks and praise I pray in the mighty name of your Son, my Lord, Jesus.

Patricia L. Wenzel
Graduate of Women of Character

Note: In writing this devotional I used the various translations listed along with Strong's Concordance, by James Strong, LL.D., S.T.D.

No comments: