Tuesday, July 20, 2010

WHAT'S YOUR JOB DESCRIPTION?


It has been my practice for over 40 years to have a quiet time with the Lord each morning. After I do my normal reading, I write what I call a "Letter to Jesus." Sometimes my "Letter" includes requests and cares, other times I just "talk" to the Lord, and yet other times I write my "concerns" or some might call them my "complaints" about others. No matter what my comments may entail, I always end my writing by saying, "I love you, Jesus." Then it is my turn to be quiet and to listen.

I have always heard the same words. They may come through softly and gently, or they may come through loud and strong, but however they sound, the words are always the same, "I love you, too, Marilyn!!!" What a way to start a day!

Recently I wrote in my journal, and I spent most of my time telling the Lord what I thought He should do to "straighten" others out, but then as I listened, this is what I heard in my head and this is what I wrote: "I will take care of the chastening. It is not in your job description. Rest in Me. Reach out to others. Your job description is: Trust, 'Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths' (Proverbs 3:5-6). Confess: 'If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness' (1John 1:9). Seek: 'But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you' (Matthew 6:33)."

Well, those are very clear and simple instructions, aren't they? TRUST, CONFESS and SEEK. I know there are more, but that's what I received for this time. I had to ask myself: Do I know my job description? How am I doing at following it? Do I want to add or take away from some of the assignments? Dear Jesus, please help me follow Your directions. Help me follow You. Please let it be obvious to others that I am following You and I know my job description. Amen

Marilyn Willett Heavilin

Marilyn is a wife and mother, author, and international conference and retreat speaker. She and her husband Glen serve as Counselors-in-Residence at America's KESWICK during the summer months. Author of Roses In December, December's Song,When Your Dreams Die, I'm Listening, Lord, Becoming A Woman of Honor, and Grief Is A Family Affair.

DIGGING DEEPER
Psalm 103:1
Bless the LORD, O my soul,and all that is within me,bless his holy name!

No comments: