Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Christian Victory Code

My husband and I had opportunity to visit the Air Force Academy during our recent trip in Colorado. The Academy is situated on the mountainside overlooking the trees and city below. The chapel itself is magnificent - beyond adequate description. Several new recruits were running through drills and we were impressed to watch for a short while. One thing we learned while at the Academy was their honor code - "I will not lie, cheat or steal nor will tolerate those who do." This is very much a part of their training for the four years they are at the Academy.

It got me thinking, IF we as Christians had an honor code what might it be? Perhaps we could call it a Victory Code. It would need to be something simple and foundational to our beliefs, a statement that would direct our attitudes and actions. After some thought, this is what came to me: I will love Jesus. I will love others. I will die to self.

Think about it a moment. If we considered these three statements every time we made a decision, every time we interacted with another person, or even as we plan out our days - If we live out the truth of these three simple statements through the power and presence of His indwelling Spirit - I believe we will daily walk in gracious obedience and Christ-like love.

Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries and Director of Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 25 years. She has 2 children, 2+ grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

DIGGING DEEPER
Psalm 139
9 If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.

No comments: