Wednesday, September 22, 2010

From Fear to Faith ~ Part Two

Yesterday's Victory Call ended with me being afraid, much afraid to get into the lake with my friends. All I could think was, "If I let go of the ladder to hold one of their hands that meant that I wouldn't be safe; I wouldn't be secure. I could sink, drown or die." That is what I thought. So I made a decision and made up my mind. I got out of the water and I was on my way back to my room, but God sent me a reminder. One of the girls that I came to the lake with me took hold of me, looked me in the eye and said "Antionetta, yes you can! You can do this! God has not given you the spirit of fear but of power and love and a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7. When we open our hands and let go of the very things that we think we have to hold on to, the things that we think will keep us safe and secure, then there is room for God to hold our hand, room for blessings and love. The Word of God helped me decide to go back in to the water. I put on a float, went slowly down the ladder and into the water. Step by step, I took my time moving away from my comfort zone. As I floated and pushed myself out towards the other girls, I felt a sense of freedom! I thought, "My God is bigger than the sea and yet close enough to carry me."

The very thing that I was afraid of gave me peace. When we try to control our own circumstances, we go against the will of God. I've learned, when we let go, God has our back. How about you? Are there areas in your life that you might be trying to control? Are there any circumstances in your life where you are afraid to trust God, because you don't feel secure? How many times have you said, "Because I am not comfortable, I'm not going to do this or that?" How will you trust God to have your back?

Antionetta Allen
America's Keswick Summer Staff

DIGGING DEEPER
Psalm 139
15 My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

No comments: