Tuesday, September 21, 2010

From Fear to Faith ~ Part One

Growing up in Staten Island, swimming wasn't one of the activities that was a part of my life. There was a neighborhood pool, but I never thought much about swimming, because I was busy doing so many other fun things. Then I came to America's Keswick, and guess what, there is a lake and a pool! Have you ever been too afraid to do something because you didn't feel secure? Well, I confess, I have. Let me share a moment where God took me from fear to faith.

One day, the girls and I were coming from the prayer tower, which is on the grounds near the upper lake. As we were walking along the Keswick beach I couldn't help but notice how peaceful and cool the water looked. My thoughts were interrupted as some of the girls suggested that we should go swimming off the deep dock. I said, "Okay, you girls go ahead and I'm going to go back to my room, because I can't swim." They said, "Ah, come on, you can use a life jacket. It will hold you up." So, very reluctantly, I agreed. At the dock they secured me in a floatation device. Then ever so carefully, I began to descend the ladder, holding on to it as tightly as I possibly could - hands as well as feet. I knew the ladder was secure, so that meant I was safe. I knew that as long as I held on tightly to the cold poles, I wasn't going to sink. I wasn't going to drown or die because I was holding on, I felt secure. Anyway, as the dock became a little bit more hectic with the other girls, I was in the way of traffic. They urged me to let go and hold onto their hands, but none of us could touch the bottom. All I could think was, "If I let go of the ladder to hold one of their hands that meant that I wouldn't be safe; I wouldn't be secure. I could sink, drown or die." That is what I thought....

Tomorrow, I'll share the conclusion of how God led me from fear to faith. Until then, ask yourself, are there any circumstances in your life where you are afraid to trust God, because you don't feel secure? Talk to Him and allow the truth of His indwelling Word to minister grace and truth to your hearts.

Antionetta Allen
America's Keswick Summer Staff

DIGGING DEEPER - Psalm 139
13 For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.

1 comment:

Gal220gal said...

My feelings exactly about swimming. I still don't do it.