Thursday, September 30, 2010

Down Cast and Thirsty?

Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God. Psalm 42:11

Most of us at some point in our lives will experience some form of depression. It may be mild, moderate or severe but we will experience it. In Psalm 42, it appears that David is struggling with depression. You might want to get out your Bible and read the whole chapter at this point.

I'd like to point out six ways David chooses to deal with his fight with depression.

1. Ask God why? David asked God in verse 9: I will say unto God my rock, why hast thou forgotten me? Why do I mourn because of the oppression of the enemy? The very fact that David went to God with this question tells us that he knew where his help would come from. He took his case directly to God and so should you. Go ahead have a talk with God and leave your entire repertoire of why questions at His feet.

2. Remember God's steadfast love. In verse 8 he exclaims, Yet the LORD will command his loving-kindness in the day time, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life. Although he was going through a terribly discouraging circumstance he held fast to the truth that God is sovereign and His love is steadfast. Sometimes just rehearsing the names of God keeps who He is alive in our lives.

3. Sing to yourself. In verse 8 David says in the night his song shall be with me. This psalm is a song. Oh the power of a song! Oh, the release that takes place as we pour out our souls through the melody of a song. Try singing the words to "It is Well with my Soul." Maybe you have another favorite; whatever it is there are some mighty powerful songs out there reminding us of God's constant presence in our lives.

4. Have a good talk with yourself. That's right - I said have a good strong conversation with none other than yourself and make sure you listen to yourself. That is exactly what David did in verse 5 when he says, Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted in me? Hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance. Take control of yourself by talking to yourself based on God's Word instead of listening to the garbage you are currently listening to yourself say.

5. Recall past worship experiences. In verse 4 David says When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday. During hard times, it is important to reflect on God's past provisions and times of great worship, which will enable us to believe that He can and will keep His promises to us during our current struggles.

6. Recognize your need for God. In verses one and two David cries, As deer panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? David realized that his greatest need in the midst of this depression was for God's presence. Are you keeping yourself in God's presence? Are you searching out ways to be connected to Him? As water fills the thirsty soul, so God can fill our hurting soul.

David, a man after God's own heart, struggled. Don't beat yourself up for having "down days," follow David's example then watch God work at putting a new song in your mouth!

Lynne Jahns
Christian Counselor
Director, KESWICK Institute of Biblical Studies

DIGGING DEEPER

Psalm 193
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?
22I hate them with complete hatred;
I count them my enemies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This one was a special blessing to me personaly. I also really liked how it had step by step instructions. They were very helpful. :)