Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Too Blessed to be Stressed?

Wish I had a nickel, no - a five dollar bill, for how many times I've heard that said. Maybe then I wouldn't be so stressed? If I had more money, or God forbid everything I ever wanted. I praise the Lord He hasn't given me everything I've ever wanted. A train wreck comes to mind.

I also praise Him that He has given me everything I've ever needed and then some! Yes, I can say I am blessed. I also can say at times, I am stressed. Answers.com records this as one definition of stress: "A mentally or emotionally disruptive or upsetting condition occurring in response to adverse external influences and capable of affecting physical health, usually characterized by increased heart rate, a rise in blood pressure, muscular tension, irritability, and depression." Ok, I'll buy that. But what about the adverse internal influences? I must admit, as is often the case, the source of my stress is...wait for it...ME. Just when I think I'm content- BAMM! Something grabs my attention and I'm back on the wrestling matt with a formidable opponent - Discontented Spirit. It's my eyes, that's it. If I could just keep them focused then I wouldn't end up here again. Maybe I should get blinders like they put on horses. They'd have to be nice of course, no faux leather, I want the real thing.

The truth is I want a lot of things. Uhh, Lord...if I could only be content. Only content? No...He wants more than that. Let's see just what it is He wants: Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness. 1 Timothy 6 1-11 (NKJV)

I wouldn't say I'm too blessed to be stressed. Too blessed? I don't think anyone can be too blessed. "No thanks Lord...I'm sufficiently blessed today." I don't think so. No stress? That would mean I'm in control of all that happens, be it an internal or external source of stress. What I will say is that when I'm stressed I can remember that I am also blessed.

Dina Seaton

Dina serves on staff in Marketing and as a staff writer. She is currently working on her first book, Do It Again, LORD, Do It Again...

DIGGING DEEPER
Psalm 139
17How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
I awake, and I am still with you.

No comments: