Monday, September 13, 2010

DIGGING DEEPER Psalm 139:7-12

If ever you considered meditating on Scripture or memorizing the Word, this would be in the top 10 Scriptures I would recommend you memorize, Psalm 139. We are in week 2of a 5 week series on this Psalm. It is packed full of truths that are so often misunderstood or unknown. I believe several of the basic counseling issues I have dealt with over the years are addressed in this Psalm. Venture forth...

7 Where shall I go from your Spirit?
Or where shall I flee from your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
9 If I take the wings of the morning
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, "Surely the darkness shall cover me,
and the light about me be night,"
12 even the darkness is not dark to you;
the night is bright as the day,
for darkness is as light with you.

Commentary:
"The next section makes it clear that there is no way the singer can escape such knowledge; there is nowhere in the universe that God will not be present to lead and hold the believer (vv.7-10), and nowhere too dark for God to see him (vv.11-12). Some have supposed that the impulse to flee (v.7) comes from a guilty conscience, or from a desire for independence, but this is unlikely; these verses take delight in the fact that God will "lead" him, an entirely positive benefit...and "hold" him...There is no play where he is beyond God's care..." [ESV Study Bible-Study notes pg. 1116]

Love ya,
Diane

Diane Hunt is the Director of Addiction Recovery Ministries and Director of Development at America's KESWICK. In addition to her Keswick responsibilities which keep her busy, she loves to read, write and teach, travel and laugh with her grandchildren. Diane has been married to her husband John over 25 years. She has 2 children, 2+ grandchildren, 3 step-children, and 7 step-grandchildren.

No comments: