Thursday, September 23, 2010

Making Choices

During the last couple of months since my husband graduated from the Colony, I have seen on a number of occasions how easily, but for God's grace and strength, I can default back to my old way of doing things. You know the drill -worry, anxiety, fear, control -all those things that don't work and make us, and our husbands, crazy!

A couple months ago at our Friday night women's meeting during FFC weekend we talked about how our brain has certain "well-worn paths" that it likes to take. (I know mine does. How about you?) And, like getting out of a deep rut on an old west wagon train trail, to go a different way takes a lot of effort at first. But, if you keep persisting in that new path, eventually that will become the well-worn one, and the one you more automatically "default" to. I have found myself in the position of making choices - old path or new path? My way or God's way? Way of confusion and unrest, or way of peace? Seems like a no-brainer doesn't it? It IS a no-brainer, yet sometimes I still find myself on that old path of worry.

The Lord keeps bringing to mind a passage that DeEtta had me memorize. Isaiah 43:18-19 (NIV) Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. The NKJV says, I will even make a road in the wilderness. I have been looking at those verses in terms of my husband - to forget the things that happened before because he is a new creation in Christ! Old things are past, all things have become new! (2 Cor. 5:17) Praise the Lord!

But, even just this morning, the Lord is showing me those verses in light of me. I don't need to do things the way I did them before. He has done a new thing, not just in my husband's life, but in my life as well! And He is making that new way, that new road, in my mind - that new "wagon trail." He is doing the same for you! Sisters, let's keep our eyes fixed on the roadmap of God's Word. He shows us the new path, the better path. Let's make sure we choose it.

Stacey Poplawski
WOC Graduate

DIGGING DEEPER

Psalm 139
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

No comments: